събота, 21 август 2010 г.

HENRY ROOT




"LETTERS FROM THE ARCHIVE"

HENRY ROOT

..........................


Mr Richard Ryder
10 Downing Street
London S.W.1

30th August 1979

Dear Ryder,

The Prime Minister’s courageous Ulster initiative last week was an inspiration to ordinary folk throughout the land! Please tell her this from me.

Never has she seemed less like a woman and more like a Tory! The shots of her on TV and her cry of “Let me speak to my people!”as she broke away from her security guards and reached out both hands to the cheering common folk made one proud to be English for the first time since we dumped the Hun at Wembley in ’66.

Is it possible to obtain a photograph of her in battledress and combat helmet snapped at the precise moment, as shown on TV, when the wind from her personal helicopter blew up her skirt to reveal World War2 Women’s Airforce knickers worn below the knee. How her enemies must have trembled!

I enclose a pound to cover the expense.

Incidentally, I have recently been in contact with old Major Wyldbore-Smith at Conservative HQ about the possibility of an honour for myself in the Prime Minister’s new year list. I pointed out that I was prepared to make a substantial contribution to party funds, but he has indicated that titles can’t be purchased from the Tories!

Could you tell the old duffer to smarten up? You’ll appreciate how I’d hate to join the Liberals!

Yours sincerely,

Henry Root

Let’s have further initiatives here and there!



.........................................


10 DOWNING STREET

7th September 1979

Dear Mr Root,

I am writing to thank you very much indeed for your letter of 30th August.

In answer to your request for a photograph of the Prime Minister, taken while she was in Ulster, I am afraid that we do not have the photograph and I would suggest that you write direct to the newspaper concerned. I am returning the pound which you enclosed.

With best wishes,

Richard Ryder
Political Office

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар